Tuesday, March 17, 2009

CHEAP ART SUPPLIES

I love to peruse non-art supply stores for cheap art supplies. These are usually art products aimed at kids. I like to take products aimed at non-professionals and see what can be done with them. I recently found these at Target. They're called Elmers PAINTASTICS.
They are basically a cheap version of a japanese water brush loaded with various colors in the barrel of the brush.
Normally a decent quality waterbrush unloaded is $8 to $12. Add in a bottle of Dr. Martins dye and that's another $5 to $8. That's about $20 for one. This package of five PAINTASTICS waterbrushes was under $5. It's clearly a lower quality product, but they are pretty fun to play with. Below is a drawing I did with the PAINTASTICS. If you're bored check 'em out, they're pretty fun!






7 comments:

mattcrap said...

at least you get a unique look with them. I always blow people away with my weird off-brand pens and markers that I find.

While they spend big bucks talking about their Pitt pens and what-have-you I bust out my Tombo ABT brush pen.

ANDY KUHN said...

matt,

that's cool. i like to use TOMBO markers as well, although i generally find that PITT pens and TOMBO markers are around the same price.

michaeljsmith said...

that is funny i think i bought my 7 year old those some pens, she loves to draw and i can now tell her she uses what the pro's use

Alan said...

Just goes to show, a good artist can make use of anything. Pricey stuff doesn't make you a good artist; cheap stuff doesn't thwart a good one.

marco's blog said...

i just picked these up for my boys at rite aid. I think i may have to steal them back! :)

wolfboy said...

Wow! I'm definitely going to pick those up; thanks man.

And your drawing is eerily beautiful.

cheap art supplies said...

wow! thank you so much for your information.i'm very happy to read your blog specially the package of five PAINTASTICS water brushes is only $5.