Friday, November 20, 2009

FIREBREATHER - FINISHED PAGES





Continuing from my last post...

My next step is to blow up the layouts
to full page size ( in this case 8.75 x 13.5).
I do my Firebreather pages smaller than the
normal 10 x 15 to save time (HA!).

After I blow up my layouts I print them out on 11 x 17 paper.
I then tape the layout to the back of a piece of bristol board
and put it on a lightbox. I then start inking.
I try to draw as much as I can in ink.
As you can see, however by comparing the last two posts,
there are always bits and pieces that need to be changed.
That's when I get out the pencil.
I'd love to say that I never pencil anything and
that I just draw it all in ink, but that's not the case.
I try to pencil as little as possible (mostly it's fixing faces and hands).
The main reason for this is that the more times
I redraw something the more I suck the life out of it.

As i said in a recent post I dream of a day when I'm confident
enough to ink strait from my thumbnails. Or better yet,
draw the whole thing in ink with no under drawing whatsoever.
A cartoonist can dream can't he?
Thanks for looking.

2 comments:

Phil said...

Great storytelling on these pages. Does Phil give you full scripts?

ANDY KUHN said...

phil,
thanks for the kind words.
phil gives me a script that is a hybrid of 'full script' and 'plot script'. for each page he gives a brief description of what happens on that page. he then writes all the dialogue, and who says it. then it's up to me to decide how that information breaks down into panels, and what the shapes and sizes of those panels should be.
in the past i have worked from plots, and i've worked from full scripts, and for me this is the best of both worlds.